Electrical Question: Three different light switches in three nearby bathroom areas will not work but the switch adjacent to the light switch controlling the fan will work on all but one.
– I checked the GFI box and none were tripped, I even reset all applicable ones.
– I checked the circuit between the switches with a current tester and neither light switch was getting a signal.
– Two of the switches that controlled the fan had a robust signal but considered one of them gave a very weak signal. All electrical outlets in each of the room are fully functional.
– There must be a fuse between all three light switches that has blown and that i don’t have a clue where to search out it.
Any input could be greatly appreciated.
This electrical wiring question came from: Robert, from North Las Vegas, Nevada.
Thanks for your electrical question Robert.
Repairing Faulty Light Circuit Wiring
Application: Troubleshooting and Testing Light Switch Circuit Wiring.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced, best repaired by a Licensed Local Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester or Continuity Tester.
Estimated Time: Relies on experience and level of problem solving skills.
Precaution: Testing live wires is dangerous and must be done by an experienced individual only. Testing using a continuity tester should only be made after the circuit has been identified and turned OFF and Tagged.
Several Light Switches Don’t Work
– From what has been described I don’t believe you will find a fuse problem, however I do believe there’s an issue with an electrical splice or connection which is commonly found either in the switch box or in a fixture box where the facility my be spliced through resulting in the affected areas.
– The electrical wiring and splices within the switch box ought to be inspected for burnt and damaged electrical wiring.
– Necessary electrical repairs and replacing affected wiring should be made to ensure proper connections and circuit integrity.
More about Troubleshooting Electrical Wiring Problems
Repairing Electrical Wiring
Troubleshooting and Repairing Electrical Wiring
Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve nearly all of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.
Tips on how to Wire a Switch
Wiring a Light Switch Diagram 1
Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your home Electrical Projects.
Electrical Circuit Wiring
This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
Electrical Panel Circuit Listing
Using Electrical Testers
Understanding Electrical Testers
When engaged on home electrical wiring using voltage testers can play an important part in electrical safety. Electrical testers enable you to identify electrical circuits and help prevent the potential for accidental electrical shock.